Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Worst Night of my Life

If you haven't already heard, we had quite the night on Tuesday night. Tate has been sick with a cough for about two months and the doctors couldn't really find the cause. Then, the past three days, he has been especially sick with a cold and little fever. All day Tuesday Taters was acting normally and like himself. Then that evening, we had to run some errands and came home about 8:00. He then had some Almond Milk (a long story, but the pediatrician told us to give it to him). After drinking that, he snuggled with Nathan for awhile and was kind of zoning in and out. We thought he was tired because it was getting near his bed time, he had woke up at 5:00 am that day and didn't really get a nap. I went to get some medicine to give him before bed and came back to him and his lips were purple and his eyes rolled back in his head. Nathan stood up with him and Tate immediately started convulsing and vomiting uncontrollably. He was going in and out of consciousness and couldn't look at us or really respond to us. He threw up for about 15 min (almost straight) and then was still really out of it and going in and out of consciousness. We were, of course, freaking out and so worried. I called the on call pediatrician and he said to get him to the emergency room asap. So, we cleaned him up a bit and put him in the car. I drove while Nathan sat in the back seat trying to keep him conscious. When we got to the hospital, Tate was still trying to throw up (but there wasn't anything left in his little body) and trying to fall asleep. Throughout this whole thing, Tate was so incredibly hot.

They ran several tests and got him started on an IV of fluids. They ordered a chest xray and checked his urine, blood and vitals. It turns out Tate had had a febrile seizure from a severe hike in his temperature. Then, from the chest xrays, they found that he has bilateral pneumonia (in both lungs). So, they started him on some antibiotics through his IV and made sure his temp was down and we were able to go home a little after 1:00 am. We went and put him to bed, but had to check on him every hour or two to make sure he was still breathing ok.

So, since then he has been feeling MUCH better. The next morning, he didn't have a fever and (other than being a little sleepy) has been back to his normal, crazy self. This was such a scary ordeal for us and we are so thankful that our little boy is ok and there are no lasting effects from the seizure.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh Megan I'm so sorry! How scary. I'm so glad he's okay...

Adam, Jaci, Grant, Grace and Amelia said...

Holy Cow! I am so sorry you had to go through that! Did the doctor ever take x-rays before this point? I am assuming he did because with an illness that lasts that long, any doctor who doesn't do an x-ray (or a few) should give me his license!!! Seriously though, I am so glad he is doing better. Nothing is worse than having you baby sick. How are you doing? Miss you!

HILL HESS said...

WE've been praying for him!! I"m so sorry you've had to go through all of that. I'm glad he's doing better. WE LOVE YOU!!

Jill said...

That sounds horrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad Tate is doing much better now and I hope you can get some rest.

The Fischer Family said...

Oh Megan! I am sooo sorry! That is so very scary! And I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that! It's hard enough when they're sick, but add seizures to the mix and it's downright terrifying! I'm glad to hear that he is doing better now!

The Allreds said...

Oh my gosh Megan, that would have been terrible! I'm glad he's okay, and so sorry that happened. I think we should get together before the new baby arrival! We both know things are just going to get busier, so let's plan lunch. I miss you!

Jo Lynn said...

Oh my gosh, that is terrible!!! What a scary situation for you guys, I seriously can't imagine. I think I would panic and go hysterical...so scary! I'm so glad he's okay and that there are no lasting affects, poor little guy!! I hate when they get sick. Poor Tate!