Friday, February 25, 2011

Tubes for Corey

Corey had tubes put in his ear yesterday. This was a result of him having an ear infection for three months straight. He has been on five different antibiotics and several shots and nothing has touched the infection. He also had a lot of fluid behind both ears, so he hasn't been able to really hear for several months. The ENT doctor says he can hear like he is underwater, so all of the sounds are really muffled. As a result, he hasn't really babbled much.
So, he had his tube surgery yesterday morning and we are hoping it makes a difference for him. The worst part about the surgery was that he couldn't eat for almost 12 hours. Being a big baby, he was not a big fan of that. And, the doctor was almost two hours late so we had to keep him entertained and distracted while we waited. The surgery was only about ten minutes and went really well. He came out of the anesthesia really well. The best part about it all is that he can obviously hear much better. Last night, he said mama three times! He doesn't know what he is saying but he is just exploring with his sounds (finally!). He is also much more alert. I hope he starts feeling better and the ear aches are finally behind us!!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Poor little guy! :( I honestly can't even imagine not letting my pig of a baby eat for 12 hours. That would be torture for all parties involved. I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope little Corey will continue to bounce back like a champ!

Natalie said...

Poor little guy! :( I honestly can't even imagine not letting my pig of a baby eat for 12 hours. That would be torture for all parties involved. I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope little Corey will continue to bounce back like a champ!

Natalie said...

P.S. Apparently that comment was a good enough one for me to leave twice. Not sure how that happened, but enjoy it both times! :)

Jill said...

Good luck with that! I hope they work and he feels better soon.

The Fischer Family said...

Gosh! I feel like it's been forever since I've been over here to check on you guys! I'm sorry to hear about Corey's ear troubles...the tubes will help so much though! I had tons of tubes as a kid and I have almost no ear infections now! I'm glad to hear it all went well!