Sunday, May 4, 2008

Hives and an Orange Goatee

Interesting title, huh? This title describes our week with Tate and new foods. On Wednesday of last week, we were all set to change Tate from his Hypoallergenic fancy formula to a still fancy, but a little less expensive, sensitive formula. He acted fine while he was eating it and seemed to like it. Afterwards, I was watching him to see if his tummy was hurting. He was a happy boy and was playing on the floor babbling. After a few minutes, I noticed that he started to get a rash around his mouth and that his ears were really red. He was especially wiggly so I took off his pajamas. His body was COVERED in hives! It was so scary! Then, after a few more minutes, his ears were swollen (picture Will Smith on Hitch) and his face had hives as well. I was so scared that his throat was going to close up, but he seemed to be fine. As soon as the Pediatrician opened (among the longest 10 minutes of my life), I called and they wanted to see us first thing. By the time we went to the doctor, the Hives had gone away. It turns out that Tate has a Milk Protein allergy. I didn't even know that lactose allergy and milk protein allergies were different. I am learning so much with this little baby..... So, Tate has to stay on his fancy fancy formula until he is 1 year old and will most likely grow out of the allergy. I guess the Nutramigen formula (which sparks a comment from the cashier EVERY TIME I buy it about how expensive it is- like I am not aware!) will be around for awhile longer in our house. It is worth it though not to have any more scary allergic reactions!!

Then, the orange goatee.... Tate ate Sweet Potatoes today for the first time. He loved them and seemed happy to eat something with flavor. He was much happier throughout the meal time than he is with Rice Cereal. I don't blame him. I tried the Sweet Potato baby food and it was good. I would eat it! Here are some pictures from our morning:
Before we started....


Let's give it a try...He's not sure about it yet.....

He likes it!!

5 comments:

HILL HESS said...

Scary! I would freak out if my baby swelled up like that! I'm glad it went away quickly and that you knew exactly what caused it! I like sweet potatoes, too! But my favorite way is with cinnamon and marshmallows! :)

The Fischer Family said...

Oh my gosh! How scary!!! Jonah gets hives all the time, but thankfully we've never had a scare like that! Your becoming a pro-mom already!!!!!! Sweet potatoes are my favorite! Yummy! Love the goatee!!!!

HESS FAMILY said...

Megan- My sisters kids have severe food allergies. One of which is milk, call me I can give you some info....

Natalie said...

How scary! What a bummer about the billion dollar formula. I love Tate's bib!

StatCraze said...

hmmmm... your experience may call for you to have an epi pen handy. You and Nate should have a little one-piece jumper made up that says "don't give me milk products." It would be fashionable and functional. :-)

My wife's nephew had some bad allergies when he was younger (he's grown out of all of them) and his parents just had a bottle of children's sudafed in their diaper bag for a couple of years. I don't think they ever used it but it's a $4 investment that could give you millions of dollars of piece of mind.